Lady GaGa Loves 'Weird Al' Yankovic's 'Born This Way' Parody

Contrary to the swirling reports,Lady GaGa  never rejected "Born This Way" parody made by "Weird Al" Yankovic. In fact, the Mother Monster loves it and "the fact that she didn't approve it was news to Lady GaGa herself," Yankovic wrote on his newest blog post. 

Yankovic recorded the parody for his new album. At first, he's reluctant to tackle it "because it was such an earnest human rights anthem." He reasoned, "I thought some people might consider a parody to be in poor taste." But later, he changed his mind because he felt it had a lot of potential. 

"Based on my concept, I was reasonably sure that my parody wasn't really going to offend anybody... but I still decided, as an act of good karma, that I would donate all the money from sales of the song and music video to the Human Rights Campaign," he said. 

Yankovic then called GaGa's management to get her blessing. "We eventually got a response from the GaGa camp: she would need to 'hear it' before she would approve it," he recalled. But after the revised lyrics were sent, they "got the final word: Lady GaGa says 'no'." 

In response to the disapproval, he stated, "My parodies have always fallen under what the courts call 'fair use,' and this one was no different, legally allowing me to record and release it without permission. But it has always been my personal policy to get the consent of the original artist before including my parodies on any album, so of course I will respect GaGa's wishes." 

Following the rejection, he released the parody online on Wednesday morning, April 20. But later in the afternoon, he updated his blog, writing "After putting my Lady GaGa parody on YouTube this morning - and announcing that it wouldn't be on my next album because GaGa didn't approve it - there was a huge outpouring of disappointment from the Internet." 

Moreover, he shared that GaGa's manager rejected the parody without consulting with her. "GaGa's manager has now admitted that he never forwarded my parody to GaGa - she had no idea at all. Even though we assumed that GaGa herself was the one making the decision (because, well, that's what we were TOLD), he apparently made the decision completely on his own. He's sorry," he said. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Alphainventions

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More